Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

#30: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Synopsis via Goodreads:

With his first foray into teen literature, acclaimed author Sherman Alexie packs a punch in this absorbing novel about a Native American boy searching for a brighter future. At once humorous and stirring, Alexie's novel follows Junior, a resident of the Spokane reservation who transfers out of the reservation's school -- and into a nearby rich, all-white farm school -- in order to nurture his desire to become a cartoonist. Junior encounters resistance there, a backlash at home, and numerous family problems -- all the while relaying his thoughts and feelings via amusing descriptions and drawings. Having already garnered a National Book Award for Young Adult Literature, this moving look at race and growing up is definitely one to pick up.

I really had no expectations for this book because I just sort of got it one day for no real reason. Good move! This book was funny, but real. I particularly liked the theme of leaving your comfort zone (in this case, an indian reservation) and seeking something greater. This is a subject that I visit often. You see, I plan to run away to Texas someday. We'll see how that turns out for me.

I apologize that this review is so short, but I actually read this like two weeks ago and have forgotten parts that I wanted to comment on. Oops! Just trust me when I say that it was a good read.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...