Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Across the Universe

#31: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Synopsis via Goodreads:


Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


Top 10 Reasons I HATED This Book:

10. I was not emotionally invested in any of the characters. All of them were either assholes or absurdly annoying.

9. Even though the characters speak perfectly normal English, they have the dumbest made up swear word called "frex". I understand that the 'F Word' may be frowned upon in YA lit, but there's a simply solution to that. DON'T SWEAR AT ALL. I wanted to chuck the book against the wall every time I read the fake word.

8. The beginning was deceiving. The first few chapters of this book were actually really good and got me super excited to read this! Then the rest was a huge disappointment.

7. The main boy in the story (Elder) was such a CREEP. His "love at first sight" theory made me almost as sick as his description of Amy's naked breasts. Grade A pedo.

6. It's going to be a trilogy.... REALLY?! That's just torture.

5. Here is a summary of the whole book: "oh, we're on a spaceship! ....still on a spaceship....... aaaand we're almost off the spaceship!..... just kidding, we're still on the spaceship." Nothing really happens.

4. "The Season": CREEPIEST SHIT OF MY LIFE. I just can't see how the work "fuck" can't be put in the book, but rape scenes can. Sorry for the spoiler, but really I'm just saving you time that would have otherwise been wasted on this awful story.

3. The "huge shock" at the end was completely obvious and easily predictable.

2. The author is a crappy writer. Here is a paragraph that my friend Traci and I got a good laugh out of:

"After Elder abandons me in the recorder hall, I stand there, alone in the dark. I'm not sure why Elder went with Eldest-- I trust Elder, but not Eldest, and I thought Elder agreed with me about Eldest." (318)

REALLY?! Did this lady not take Creative Writing 101?

I was also annoyed that she did not put nearly enough description into the ship. I mean, this thing is obviously huge to sustain life for hundreds of years and to supply inhabitants with all the crap they have. Why don;t we get detailed descriptions of these things?

1.Most people on Goodreads not only like but LOVE this crap. I have temporarily lost my faith in you guys and it may take awhile for that faith to be regained. I am disappointed as well as pissed off that you guys made me believe that this book would be worth my time in the slightest.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...