Thursday, February 10, 2011

Unearthly

#28: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Synopsis via Goodreads


In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.


Okay, okay, I know that I'm supposed to be reading a "classic" novel for every fourth book and that this is a fourth book, but I've heard so many good things about Unearthly that I just couldn't wait. The next four books that I read will go classic, new, new, classic to make up for this. Anyway, on to more important issues.

THIS BOOK IS SO FN GOOD!!!!! I'm not sure if it's the whole angel mythology, the teen romance parts, or both (probably), but I flipped through this book fairly quickly wanting to know what happens next?! what happens next?! I was nervous that I wasn;t going to like the story at all because I'm such a huge fan of Cassandra Clare's angel series. Thankfully, this book stepped up!

I really loved everything about this book, but my favorite feature has to be the surprises. YA books are usually pretty predictable. I figured out some aspects of the storyline pretty quickly, but was pleased to find myself shouting out loud, "NO WAY! SHUT UP!" a couple of times. That's how you know it's good! Toward the end (as expected) some big action goes down and I was so emotionally involved that I felt sick to my stomach and even teared up a bit. This does not happen to me often!

Of course, since it's the first book in a series, I'm angry at the moment because I want to know what happens next but will probably have to wait about another year to find out. UUUUGH. Sometimes I wish that I could wait until the whole series is out before I start it. Anyway, this book is super good and you should read it. I don't even want to start another book right away because I just know that Unearthly will be the only thing on my mind!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...