Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Fellowship of the Ring

#16: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

Synopsis via Goodreads:

Sauron, the Dark Lord, has gathered to him all the Rings of Power except one -- the One Ring that rules them all -- which has fallen into the hands of the hobbit Bilbo Baggins. Young Frodo Baggins finds himself faced with an immense task when Bilbo entrusts the Ring to his care. Frodo must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ring and foil the Dark Lord in his evil purpose

As I mentioned last week, I intend to read the entire LOTR trilogy this month in honor of its author's birthday (which was January 3rd). I hope you're not expecting a legitimate review because I simply don't have the words for it. I'm not too crazy about The Hobbit, but the LOTR trilogy is just amazing. I mean, it's got everything: action, adventure, fantasy, romance, valuable life lessons.... everything! And where I find the writing to be a bit dry and boring in The Hobbit, I didn't feel that way at all while reading this book. I won't force you to read it as I do with most books that I love because I know that these classics aren't for everyone. So just know that if you are not a fan then you cannot be my friend. If you are not a fan and are already my friend then do not take the name of J.R.R. Tolkien in vain. Consequences will be great and I reserve the right to terminate the friendship.

Since I'm not giving a legit review, here are some of my favorite quotes from The Fellowship...

“I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo.
“So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”





“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.”




All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...