Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sisters Red

#23: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Synopsis via Goodreads:

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?


I really liked this book! I have a feeling that Little Red Riding Hood is going to be big this Spring the way Alice in Wonderland was big last Spring (that new Little Red Riding Hood movie is coming out sometime this year). Hope I don't end up getting sick of it like I did after I read The Looking Glass Wars! Seriously, though. This one is pretty solid. It's really not toooo much like the classic children's tale. The only similarities are the big bad wolf, grandma's house, and the red capes that the girls wear. The rest is delightfully original.

Things I loved most: female characters that are strong and smart (NOT Bellas or Cleas!), a romance that is exciting and cute (a little predictable, but in a good way since I wanted it to happen :)  ), and some awesome action scenes.

The only thing I can thing of that kind of bugged me is that it was a bit predictable, but I found myself loving it anyway. Also, I didn't like how no one knew about these wolves except for these few people. How do you just not know about these things?! But they end up explaining it later-- phew! Valid read :)


P.S. I met the author at Twicon a couple of years ago and said she's super nice, so you should support her and get her book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...