Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Two Towers

#20: The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien

Synopsis via Goodreads:

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
 

Frodo and his Companions of the Ring have been beset by danger during their quest to prevent the Ruling Ring from falling into the hands of the Dark Lord by destroying it in the Cracks of Doom. They have lost the wizard, Gandalf, in a battle in the Mines of Moria. And Boromir, seduced by the power of the Ring, tried to seize it by force. While Frodo and Sam made their escape, the rest of the company was attacked by Orcs. 

Now they continue the journey alone down the great River Anduin - alone, that is, save for the mysterious creeping figure that follows wherever they go.


As I mentioned in my review of The Fellowship of the Ring, I am not going to be really reviewing this trilogy because all three books are amazing works of art that I do not even feel worthy of reviewing. So, once again, I leave you with my favorite quotes from the book.

"The brave things in the old tales and songs, Mr. Frodo: adventures, as I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for. But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered. Folk seem to have been just landed in them. I expect they had lots of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten. We hear about those as just went on-and not all to a good end, mind you; at least not to what folk inside a story and not outside it call a good end."




That's the only one I can really think of, actually. I will admit that out of the trilogy this one is my least favorite. I think though that that ends up being the case with most books series. The second is always the least favorite. It does, however, still get full marks for helping complete the amazing story that is The Lord of the Rings.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...